Pages

Sunday, June 9, 2013

Menoreh Run


by the progo river
Trip to the northwest border of the Yogyakarta, Menoreh hill-ranges Kulon Progo. This time my red bee were in workshop, I have to ride my moped yamaha 110cc. As we rode into the wild, we passed the meander of Progo river. At first we head toward Muntilan, a town north east of Jogjakarta. Then we rode eastward until we crossed Progo river, in the border of Jogjakarta and central java.







progo river
Progo river is the largest river in Jogjakarta area, it started from the mountains in central Java such as Sindoro Sumbing Merapi and Merbabu and dumped its flow in the Trisik beach in Kulon Progo regency. It meander beautifully in the valley of Menoreh hill ranges. Menoreh hill ranges is a natural border between central Java and Jogjakarta in the west side. The departute route we took were mostly in central Java and the returned route were in Kulon Progo regency inside jogjakarta.

end of civilized road
Once again we stupidly took the non tourist road, a small road that was look smooth at the beginning. as we progress deeper and higher into the hills, the asphalt is gone, into basic stone based road that was ready to be asphalted actually and remember guys, we rode in this stupidity with a moped, a comfortable commuter ride in the city, but horrible for off road duty such as this.

One thing that can be thanked from this moped is its 4 stroke engine, this model got the heaviest crankcase against its competitor and we already change the rear sprocket from 37 teeth to 39 teeth, at first it's intentionally to get faster acceleration in the city but not for the top speed. This engine setting was also suit for the hill road, it got more torque to climb (my wild bee is nothing at climb, it got no power) but the small 17inches tyres, suspensions, and ridding position was terrible, we got wear easily and the butts were getting numb.


serviens in lumine veritatis
Serviens in Lumine Veritatis: Service in the Light of Truth. slogan from Universitas Atma Jaya Yogjakarta (http://www.uajy.ac.id). a secular university that was run by a catholicism spirit foundation in the city of Jogjakarta, I've been there for a while for my economics degree. The sign in that village indicate the extracurricular activity of the university. After two hours in the road we finally reach the top, it was more organized than when we last came there say like 6 years ago, there are new parking area with food stalls and statues of punakawan, we separated for a while, I left my moped in the parking. the stairs remain the same, it has 1,2,3,4,5..... I always lost count in the way, take me 3 stops to catch my breath. Finally here I was at the top of my world, with both Jogjakarta and central Java valleys as my view. at top there is a statue, I think it is dewi durga statue Shiva's wife, I'm not really sure. I stayed for a while, enjoying the scenery and thinking about the world in the ancient time.


punakawan
the stairs
stairs above view
one of the peaks


top shelter

jogjakarta view from atop

central java view from atop

sign to the hill top


rujak ice crime
On the descent there was a sign that made me smile, a rujak ice cream vendor, it was a fruit salad with ice cream topping, but the sign says rujak ice crime, I'm sure they are honest businessmen and it was merely mispelling because english is not even our second language. But it made my day ended with smile, without any intention to underestimate the rujak vendor.

Riding distant : 83.5km
Riding duration : 5 hours


View suralaya in a larger map

No comments:

Post a Comment